Ex-Intelligence Officials Who Claimed Hunter Biden Laptop Story Was A Russian Operation Silent After Twitter Files Released

December 7, 2022

Ex-intelligence officials who claimed the Hunter Biden laptop story was a Russian operation have been nowhere to be found after Twitter's new CEO, Elon Musk, released the "Twitter Files" last week.

"Former top intelligence officials who signed an open letter suggesting the Hunter Biden laptop story was part of a Russian operation just weeks before the 2020 election were silent after internal Twitter emails acknowledged there was no evidence the story involved material that was illicitly obtained," reported Breitbart.

The New York Post — the outlet that broke the story in October of 2020 — reported:

Leon Panetta, a former CIA director and defense secretary, John Brennan a former CIA director, Mike Hayden, a former CIA director, and Jim Clapper, a former director of national intelligence — who all once said The Post’s reporting had ‘all the classic earmarks of a Russian information operation,’ — declined or did not respond to request for comment about whether the latest disclosures had changed their opinion.

Musk tasked journalist Matt Taibbi with releasing internal Twitter emails discussing the company’s decision to suppress the story.

The emails included discussions about locking the Post‘s Twitter account, deleting tweets that linked the story, and tweets that even referenced the story.

"Five days after questions were raised at Twitter about relying on a hacking justification to suppress the story, more than 50 former intelligence officials published an open letter on October 19, 2020, that argued that, based on their experience and expertise, the story came from the Russian government," reported Breitbart.

"If we are right, this is Russia trying to influence how Americans vote in this election, and we believe strongly that Americans need to be aware of this," the officials said in the open letter.

Additionally, the letter was signed by former acting CIA Directors John McLaughlin and Michael Morell and more than three dozen other former intelligence officials.

In the wake of last week's release of the Twitter Files, participants in the open letter have been silent.

Source: Breitbart