Actor Alec Baldwin shouldn't get too comfortable in the wake of his involuntary manslaughter charge being thrown out earlier this year.
That's because, according to Fox News, the actor, who pulled the trigger on the Rust movie set that killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins could soon face new charges as the case heads back to a grand jury.
Special prosecutors Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis released a bombshell statement this week indicating that new evidence could change the entire situation.
"After extensive investigation over the past several months, additional facts have come to light that we believe show Mr. Baldwin has criminal culpability in the death of Halyna Hutchins and the shooting of Joel Souza," the special prosecutors said.
— Jack Poso 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) October 17, 2023
The prosecutors added, "We believe the appropriate course of action is to permit a panel of New Mexico citizens to determine from here whether Mr. Baldwin should be held over for criminal trial."
Fox News noted:
Hutchins was killed on the New Mexico set of the Western film, and director Joel Souza was wounded by a bullet from a weapon Baldwin was holding while rehearsing a scene in a church on Oct. 21, 2021. Baldwin has denied he pulled the trigger of the gun that killed Hutchins.
The actors attorneys immediately responded to the prosecutors' revelation, vowing to fight the charges in court.
"It is unfortunate that a terrible tragedy has been turned into this misguided prosecution. We will answer any charges in court," attorneys Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro of Quinn Emanuel said.
Prosecutors will recharge Alec Baldwin over lethal movie shooting after results from independent forensic test https://t.co/FDIFd5d3D3
— TheBlaze (@theblaze) October 18, 2023
The special prosecutors on the case will reportedly present their new evidence to a grand jury within the next two months. It will then be up to the jury to decide if new charges should come as a result.
Baldwin and others behind the production of the movie were heavily criticized for allegedly cutting corners on safety protocols that could have led to real bullets being used in the guns on the set.
A judge recently ordered Rust Movie Productions to turn over several documents related to the production of the movie to determine if safety measures were bypassed.
Only time will tell, but Baldwin is definitely not out of the woods by any means.
It's important to share the news to spread the truth. Most people won't.