Greg Abbott might be a lot of things, but he's not a coward. When he needs to confront something or somebody, he does it face-to-face.
That's why when President Joe Biden showed up to Texas, the Republican governor handed him a letter in person that said:
Your visit to our southern border with Mexico today is $20 billion too little and two years too late. Moreover, your visit avoids the sites where mass illegal immigration occurs and sidesteps the thousands of angry Texas property owners whose lives have been destroyed by your border policies.
Clearly, Abbott is a savage. He speaks the truth, and he doesn't care who hears it. He went on:
This chaos is the direct result of your failure to enforce the immigration laws that Congress enacted. Your open-border policies have emboldened the cartels, who grow wealthy by trafficking deadly fentanyl and even human beings.
It took a lot of guts for Abbott to hand Biden the letter in person. Many politicians would have just made a social media post about it. The letter continued:
Halfway through your presidency, though, I can finally welcome you to the border. When you finish the photo-ops in a carefully stage-managed version of El Paso, you have a job to do:
- You must comply with the many statutes mandating that various categories of aliens “shall” be detained, and end the practice of unlawfully paroling aliens en masse.
- You must stop sandbagging the implementation of the Remain-in-Mexico policy and Title 42 expulsions, and fully enforce those measures as the federal courts have ordered you to do.
- You must aggressively prosecute illegal entry between ports of entry, and allow ICE to remove illegal immigrants in accordance with existing federal laws.
- You must immediately resume construction of the border wall in the State of Texas, using the billions of dollars Congress has appropriated for that purpose.
- You must designate the Mexican drug cartels as foreign terrorist organizations.